At Republic, we continually strive to keep your money safe. Below, learn some of the ways we are working for you and actions you can take to keep your information secure.
What You Should Know About Bank Card Skimming
What is Skimming?Skimming is the unlawful practice of affixing a device to a card reader on an ATM or gas station pump to ‘skim’ credit or debit card information. The skimmer blends in with the existing equipment well enough that unsuspecting consumers do not notice it.
It’s a big problem, but you can help protect your card by following a few simple tips:
How to Prevent Skimming
- Protect Your Personal Identification Number (PIN).
Always shield the view of your hand when entering your PIN in an ATM machine or merchant processing device should there be an unseen camera.
- Change your PIN.
If you suspect your PIN has been seen or obtained, changing your PIN will prevent the unauthorized user from obtaining cash.
- If the machine you’re using looks suspicious, don’t use it.
Criminals often put skimmers on gas pumps or ATM machines located the farthest from the building.
Give the reader a good tug or shake as it is often adhered with double-sided tape or glue.
- Turn ‘off’ your card if you suspect you have been skimmed.
You can turn off your Republic bank card in our Mobile App, or you can contact us here or by calling (405) 360-5369 to turn off your card.
- Pay attention to your account.
Visit Republic Online® daily to check the transactions on your account. You’ll see immediately if there are any unauthorized transactions.
- When shopping, use your Republic Check Card with EMV technology.
EMV refers to cards with computer chips. These cards utilize a higher level of security because their data changes with each transaction.
- Enroll in our Guardian Fraud Text Alerts here .
With Guardian, we’ll send you a text if any uncommon activity occurs on your card.
- Republic MasterCard® Check/ATM Card - Call (866) 546-8273
- Republic Visa® Credit Card, Fraud Assistance - Call (866) 604-0381 or (800) 325-3678
- Credit Card Customer Service - Call (800) 423-7503
- PrePaid Money Cards - Call (800) 416-6373
Enroll Now or Learn More
Republic Security Topics
- Enhanced Fraud Alerts to Protect You - In our ongoing efforts to optimize account security, we've enhanced our fraud alert system. Should possible fraud be detected on your Republic Check Card, we'll contact you by email, text, and, if needed, give you a call.
- EMV "Chip Card" Frequently Asked Questions - Learn about our new EMV Chip Card technology.
Other Security Resources
- Controlling Cookies on Your Personal Computer
- Preventing Identity Theft
- Republic Online® Supported Browsers
- Protecting Your Personal Computer
- Protecting Your Personal Information
- Choosing a Secure Password
Financial Education Corporation Resources
- Account Authentication & Online Banking - Read about the authentication process used to confirm that it is you and not someone who has stolen your identity.
- Online Banking, Data Security & You - Learn best practices for safe online banking.
- Risk Assessment & Layered Security for Online Business Transactions - Study new financial standards that assist business account holders from account hijacking and unauthorized funds transfers.
- Schemes, Scams & Fraud - Review today’s most prevalent frauds and get advice for keeping your private information secure.
- Cyber Attacks - Learn cyber-terrorism tactics and how they could affect you.
- Account Hijacking & Identity Theft - Recognize identity theft and learn how to prevent it.